Peter's Gallery

Home History Timeline Memory Lane Tour 1 Tour 2 Radio Warrington At The Flicks Mr Smith's Shop! Nineteen Nineties 19 Museum Street Legh Street Baths My Warrington RAF Burtonwood On The Waterfront 1 On The Waterfront 2 Warrington Green 1 Warrington Green 2 Sankey Valley On The Buses Peter's Gallery Walk Through Time Making Tracks 1 Making Tracks 2 Making Tracks 3 Warrington People Entertaining People Sporting People Warrington Wolves Warrington Market Classic Motor Shows Events On Top of the World The Bewsian Hamilton Street Golden Square Community Feedback

Warrington - A Town of Many Industries

mywarrington - created by Gordon I Gandy
Gordon_Radio_Warrington.jpg (52097 bytes) market_transport_show_120707_093.JPG (139965 bytes)
Local Radio - Local Issues - Local Presenters - Proud to be at the Heart of your Community.
Click the station banner, above, select 'Listen Live' and choose your media player.
Or install the TuneIn app on your smartphone or tablet and search for Radio Warrington
The mywarrington Radio Show every Friday lunchtime between 12 and 3 on Radio Warrington.

Why does the best photo opportunity happen when you've just filled up your camera disk?

peters_gallery_logo.jpg (39794 bytes)

This page last updated Tuesday, 18 Jan 2010
Peter's Gallery - Ride Around Warrington

peters_gallery_logo.jpg (39794 bytes)

PETER SPILSBURY HAS TAKEN COUNTLESS NUMBERS OF PHOTOGRAPHS IN AND AROUND WARRINGTON OVER HIS LIFETIME. I FIRST MET PETER IN MID-2006 AT RISLEY MOSS NATURE RESERVE WHILST CONDUCTING RESEARCH FOR WARRINGTON GREEN. DURING THAT CHANCE MEETING PETER SAID HE WOULD SELECT SOME OF HIS PHOTOGRAPHS FOR ME TO SHOW ON THE WEBSITE. MYWARRINGTON IS PROUD TO PRESENT PETER'S GALLERY.

All photos on this page Copyright © Peter Spilsbury
The descriptions are from Peter's own notes, with additional notes from me.
See more of Peter's photographs on the Memory Lane page and throughout the Making Tracks sections.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

TOWN CENTRE - FROM THE TOP

A series of images taken from the top of the town centre car parks in the 1970s and 1980s

peter_crosfields_from_legh_st_760108.jpg (52334 bytes) Hilden House & Priestley House on the left. Garven Place in the foreground. Baths roof on the right. Centre back is Crosfields & Sacred Heart church. (8 Jan 1976). Priestley House was renamed Bank Quay House in 2008. peter_cheshire_lines_view_760108.jpg (55607 bytes)

The rear of the Warrington Observer newspaper in the foreground. The little café is just to the right. The Cheshire Lines Committee warehouse stands out with Central Station just below it. Rylands offices above that. The chimneys of Cockhedge Mill to the right (8 Jan 1976).

peter_golborne_st_760108.jpg (45195 bytes) Golborne Street. WHSmith's on the left and Eustance's jewellers in the centre at the corner of Bold Street and Sankey Street. The White Hart hotel just to the right and then the multi-storey car park. (8 Jan 1976). peter_infirmary1_760108.jpg (60799 bytes)

The Infirmary on the left (Kendrick Street). Cheshire Lines curve past the General Hospital. Bold Power Station in the right background (8 Jan 1976).

peter_infirmary2_760108.jpg (59709 bytes) Legh Street. The pathology laboratory on the left. St Paul's in the background with the roof of Lancashire Steel to the right. Rolleston Street under the bridge
(8 Jan 1976).
peter_golborne_st_770415.jpg (93220 bytes)

Golborne Street & Scotland Road. Behind the yellow car is the Theatre Tavern (now the Prince of Wales). To its left is Parr's bank (now NatWest bank). On the sky-line from left to right is Cockhedge Mill, Parish church & New Town House. Below that is the Hop Pole pub. See a similar view from a year earlier on the Memory Lane page (15 Apr 1977).

peter_golborne_st_800919.jpg (54896 bytes) Golborne Street and Marks & Spencer (19 Sep 1980). peter_st_pauls_church_800919.jpg (54550 bytes)

St Paul's church with new housing in the Rolleston Street area. Bold Power Station is in the left background and Lancashire Steel on the right (19 Sep 1980).

peter_wycliffe_church_760108.jpg (55282 bytes) The back of the shirt works on the left, then Wycliffe church & Bewsey Street. Tetley Walker's brewery behind the church tower and further right is the Alliance Box works (8 Jan 1976). peter_wycliffe_church_800919.jpg (69960 bytes)

Spot the difference. A similar view of Wycliffe church, but this time the buildings between the church and railway viaduct have gone. That area is now occupied by Making Space (19 Sep 1980).

peter_academy_way__781003.jpg (72481 bytes) Friars Gate with Academy Way under construction. The road was originally called Rose & Crown Street and led to Mersey Street. Friars Green chapel is in the centre background with Crosfields behind. Even further behind is Fiddlers Ferry (3 Oct 1978). peter_wilderspool_780703.jpg (55740 bytes)

Bridge Foot with the bus garage on the other side of the railway bridge. St James' church and Hill Cliffe in the background (3 July 1978).

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

STOCKTON HEATH VIEWS

All the photos here were taken from the top of St Thomas' Church, Stockton Heath.

stockton_heath_pspilsbury_02.jpg (52036 bytes) Greenall's Brewery closed down in 1991 and Morrison's supermarket took its place. Northwich Road swing bridge control box and the site of Twenty Steps Lock are in the bottom right hand corner. stockton_heath_pspilsbury_01.jpg (66682 bytes) Looking along Ellesmere Road towards Walton with Naylor's timber yard and Walton Lock in view.
stockton_heath_pspilsbury_03.jpg (74836 bytes) The bridge and control box on the left. G & J Greenall (burnt down in 2005) behind Stafford Road. The bed of the Black Bear Canal can be picked out. stockton_heath_pspilsbury_04.jpg (71913 bytes) Black Bear country park and Loushers Lane fields.
stockton_heath_pspilsbury_05.jpg (66684 bytes) The cantilever bridge stands out over Fairfield Road. Alexandra Park can be picked out among the houses. stockton_heath_pspilsbury_06.jpg (96121 bytes) London Road and the old Co-op, now with new tenants, and the east graveyard of the church stands out.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

FIRE STATION OPEN DAY 9 AUG 2007

Thanks to Cheshire Fire Brigade for permission to reproduce these images.

fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_01.jpg (95796 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_02.jpg (53831 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_03.jpg (55100 bytes)
The name and plaque
from the old fire station
in Queen Street.
Display of fire appliances
at the front of the
station in Winwick Road.
A water tender
leaving the station and
crossing Winwick
Road (L968 TFM, 1994).
fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_04.jpg (74216 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_05.jpg (53599 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_06.jpg (62413 bytes)
The foam tender and its
equipment. This appliance
is useful at oil and
petrol spillage accidents.
A demonstration of the
hydraulic lift using
the training tower
(ML02 MTJ).
No one is in the wet suit,
it is just part of the display
of equipment that
accompanies the Chinook
rigid inflatable and its
towing vehicle
(DK56 JYP).
fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_07.jpg (58820 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_08.jpg (83468 bytes) fire_station-open_day_070809_pspilsbury_09.jpg (66973 bytes)
Hazard Management Unit
(DK52 VZG) is one of the
vehicles that attend traffic
accidents on roads
and motorways.
This 1954 Dennis F2 engine, NED 146, once worked
for Joseph Crosfields & Sons, and was garaged
at their fire station on Liverpool Road. It is now
looked after by the Cheshire fire and rescue
service at their headquarters at Winsford.
Its registration gives its affectionate name of NED.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

BURTONWOOD AIR BASE

RAF Burtonwood was the name of the Royal Air Force station that used to be situated in the northwest of the town. The base opened in 1939 and covered an area of 1,471 acres, containing 18 miles of roadway and 13 hangars. During World War II it acted as a servicing centre for the American Air Force. By the end of the war there were 18,000 servicemen stationed there. Following World War II the station declined somewhat with numbers being reduced. The Americans left the station in 1965, but the US forces moved back there in 1967 and the site was developed into a storage and forward supply depot. The base provided service functions for the 1991 Gulf War. It closed in August 1993. The M62 motorway now occupies part of the old runway. At present the site is being entirely demolished to make way for a new commercial development and the building of a new village called Chapelford.
In 1956 and 1957 Peter attended open days at the air base. Here he presents some of his photos from that visit. For those interested in the technical stuff, some were taken using a fixed exposure box camera, whilst others were taken using a Kodak Retinette camera without a rangefinder or exposure meter.
peter_burtonwood_01_c-47_560519.jpg (25476 bytes) Douglas C47 Skytrain/Dakota. It featured two 1,200-hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp radial piston engines. Its maximum speed was 230 mph at a height of 23,200ft. Its length was 64 ft 5.5in and had a wing span of 95ft. This type of plane was used in the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49.
peter_burtonwood_02_t-33a_53-5150_560519.jpg (24108 bytes) T-33A Shooting Star 53-5150 (35150). It was the first USAF jet trainer. Its range was 1,345 miles with a maximum speed of 600 mph. 7,000 of the type were built. Its length was 37ft 9in and it had
a wing span 38ft 10.5in.
peter_burtonwood_03_vickers_valiant_560519.jpg (41153 bytes)

The Vickers Valiant B(PR)K WZ405 belonged to 207 Squadron based at Marham, Norfolk. It was the first of Bomber Command's V class aircraft, and established Britain's air-borne nuclear deterrent force before pioneering operational in-flight refuelling in the Royal Air Force.

peter_burtonwood_04_c-124c_globemaster_560519.jpg (52034 bytes)

Douglas C-124C Globemaster. It was used for long-range cargo and operated between 1925-1962. It featuring 4 Pratt & Whitney R-4360-63A engines, and had a range of 4,030 miles, with a top speed of 304 mph.

peter_burtonwood_05_c-97_stratofreighter_560519.jpg (56219 bytes) Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter. This was the cargo/transport version of the B-29 bomber. It had four Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines of 3,500 hp. each and two General Electric J47s of 5,970 lbs. thrust each. Its crew consisted of a Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator, and a Flight Engineer. A height of 38ft 4in, length of 117ft 5in and a wing span of 141ft 3in gave it a maximum speed of 400 mph. They cost $1,205,000 each. The C-97 served in the Berlin Air Lift. The tanker variant, the KC-97, had a dome on the top just behind the second set of windows, and had the prominent bulge on the bottom anchoring the refuelling boom.
peter_burtonwood_06_comet_c2_560519.jpg (31274 bytes) de Havilland Comet C2. The maiden flight of the type was 27 July 1949 and it was Britain's first commercial jet airliner. They had 7 fuel tanks - later versions had 9. The Comet 2 featured Rolls-Royce Avon engines and were allocated to the RAF.
peter_burtonwood_10_b-47_17045_560519.jpg (42321 bytes) Boeing B-47 Stratojet No. 17045. It was never based at Burtonwood, just visiting this day for the Open House. It was introduced in 1951 and cost $1.9million each. It was primarily designed for penetrating the Soviet Union. Length was a 107ft 1in in and it had a wing span of 116ft. Maximum speed was 607 mph.
peter_burtonwood_11_blackburn_beverley_560519.jpg (33729 bytes) The Blackburn Beverley was a medium range military freighter built here in the United Kingdom. It flew with a crew of four and had four Bristol Centaurus 173 or 273 18-cylinder air-cooled radial engines of 2,850 hp (2,125 kW). It was 99ft 5in long, had a wing span of 162ft and flew at a maximum speed of 238mph, attaining a height of 5,700ft.
peter_burtonwood_13_c-47d_skytrain_570517.jpg (54963 bytes) Douglas C-47D Skytrain. it weighs in at 15,326 lb with a wing span of 95 ft and a speed of 150 mph. A large order was placed in 1940 for the military DC-3, which was designated C-47 and became known as "Skytrain," a name it would soon be asked to live up to. It was powered by two 1,200-hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp radial piston engines, with a maximum speed of 230 mph and a range of 2,125 miles.
peter_burtonwood_14_c-119c_boxcar_37844_570518.jpg (40912 bytes) Fairchild C-119C Boxcar 37844. It featured Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines. Maximum speed was 296 mph and its range was 2,280 miles. The type first flew in 1947. The C-119 was a redesign of an earlier Fairchild transport design, the C-82 Packet, which was built for the USAF between 1945 and 1948.
peter_burtonwood_15_chipmunk_gloster_javelin.jpg (33441 bytes) de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk. It was developed just after World War II to replace the Tiger Moth. It had one 145-hp deHavilland Gypsy Major 8 inline piston engine, a length of 25ft 5in and a wing span of 34ft 4in. Top speed was 138 mph at sea level and a range of 280 miles. It is seen here with a Gloster Javelin FAW4 XA 631, described next.
peter_burtonwood_17_gloster_javelin_faw4_xa631_570517.jpg (34206 bytes) Gloster Javelin FAW4 XA631 was an all weather fighter of No. 23 Squadron from RAF Coltishall, Norfolk. It is a fighter designed by George Carter and the maiden flight was on 26 November 1951. There were 10 versions of the javelin and this fourth version was one of 50 manufactured. The two crew members were the pilot and a radar operator. It was 56ft 9in in length, had a wing span of 52ft and was powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 7 turbojet engines.
peter_burtonwood_18_de_havilland_vampire_570518.jpg (37220 bytes) de Havilland Vampire T11 XK584. They were powered by One 3,350-pound thrust D.H. Goblin 3 turbojet. A wing span of 38ft and a maximum take-off weight of 12,390lbs added to its maximum speed of 548 mph and a range of 1,229 miles. The first version of the model was first flown in 1943 with Geoffrey deHavilland at the controls, although it didn't see active service until 1946.
peter_burtonwood_19_hawker_hunter_f6_570518.jpg (35412 bytes) The Hawker Hunter F6 XF527 was part of 19 Squadron and was based at Church Fenton in Yorkshire. It was powered by one Rolls Royce Avon RA.28 engine of 10,000 lb thrust. Its speed was mach 0.95 (just below the speed of sound). It featured the ability to carry a wide range of under wing stores such as bombs and rockets and equipped 19 RAF squadrons.
peter_burtonwood_21_b-45a_tornado_47-087_570518.jpg (32103 bytes)

North American B-45A Tornado 47-087. It was a light bomber and photo reconnaissance aircraft and had a top speed of 550 mph. It was powered by four 5,200 lb static thrust General Electric J476-GE-15 turbojets giving a bombing load of 20,000 lbs. Its maiden flight was on 17 March 1947, and it was introduced into service on 22 April 1948. The unit cost was $1.1 million.

peter_burtonwood_22_b-66b_destroyer_bb302_570518.jpg (40821 bytes)

Douglas B-66B Destroyer BB302 (5032). It was designed by Ed Heinemann and the maiden flight took place in 1954. It entered service in 1956 and was retired in 1973. 72 models were built. It had a crew of 3 and flew at a maximum speed of 631 mph. Its length was 75ft 2in and the wing span measured 72ft 6in. It could climb at a rate of 5,000ft/min.

See four more images from Peter's Burtonwood collection in RAF Burtonwood.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

THE JET STEAM!

raf_knat_pspilsbury.jpg (83856 bytes)

The RAF has recruiting exhibitions from time to time but this one was a bit unusual. This Gnat trainer was displayed on the Town Hall lawn when I took its picture on 7-5-76. There was also a Bloodhound missile on show as well.

dibnah_pspilsbury.jpg (73638 bytes) A Steam Engine Party was held in Victoria Park on 11-5-86. Among the dozen or so engines was this Aveling & Porter roller belonging to Fred Dibnah, who can be seen at the controls (possibly with the help of a member of the family). A heavy shower dampened the show a bit but the sun came out as they were making their way home.

Addition from Gordon: I met Fred Dibnah on 17 April 1994 when he visited Greenings factory on Bewsey Road to blow up the old chimney. One spectator, unaware of Fred's sense of humour, asked what time the chimney was coming down. Fred replied, "Five to 12". "How can you be so precise?" asked the spectator. "Because the pub opens at 12", said Fred. Five to 12, BANG, one chimney down and one Fred Dibnah supping his pint of best Greenall's five minutes later!

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

BANK QUAY 1971-1982

bank_quay_station_july_1971_spilsbury.jpg (100034 bytes)

In the early hours of Sunday 5th September 1971, the three arches of Bank Quay bridge were dynamited by "blaster" Bates for British Rail's electrification of the West Coast Main Line from Euston to Glasgow and Edinburgh. This was required to raise the bridge to provide the necessary clearance for the overhead wires. In this scene, taken a couple of months earlier, the driver of the diesel locomotive on the right looks back for a signal from the train's guard, while a Manchester to Chester diesel multiple unit approaches the station. A line of vans on the left completes the scene with the three arches in the background.
bank_quay_station_apt370006_820611_spilsbury.jpg (127548 bytes) The experimental Advanced Passenger Train (APT) approaches the station on a test run from Carlisle on 11 June 1982. The modifications to the bridge can be seen in the background. Electric passenger services started in May 1974.
crosfield_street_1971_spilsbury.jpg (102244 bytes) While taking the first picture I took the opportunity to have a walk round the area. This is taken from Parker Street, looking up Crosfield Street with Bank Park on the right. On the left is a warehouse let for commercial use with the railway goods yard behind. At the far end of the street is a signal box on the Cheshire Lines. There was a little known branch line from there to the steel works in Dallam Lane.
bank_quay_bridge_1971_spilsbury.jpg (87059 bytes) Liverpool Road over the railway with the tower of Sacred Heart church in the background.
parker_street_1971_spilsbury.jpg (103256 bytes) Taken from the same area looking up the bridge. The entrance to National Carriers is in the background. They were the road services to B.R. They used 3 wheel Scammels, often referred to as mechanical horses, for delivering and collecting goods from the railway.
liverpool_road_1_1971_spilsbury.jpg (77370 bytes) Milner Street is on the left. Whitecross Wire Works occupied both sides of this street [Royal Mail sorting office and B&Q are here now]. It later became part of Rylands-Whitecross. How many can remember The Railway pub at the corner of Milner Street and Priestley Street or The Green Man on Sankey Green near the Bowling Green pub? On the other side of the road you can see where the pavement is interrupted. This is where Crosfields had their two fire engines and an ambulance. Two of the doorways can still be seen. One of the engines is now a heritage vehicle (see a photo of it in the Fire Station Open Day section on the Events page).
liverpool_road_2_1971_spilsbury.jpg (69069 bytes) Crossing the road for this view, the road to the right was called Factory Lane and round the corner the road divides into two. The left hand fork going under Bank Quay Station coming out at the corner of Parker Street and Wilson Patten Street by the station entrance. The right hand fork went over the low level railway and to another part of the factory and the river. There was a public footpath from Monks Hall sidings to the 12 Arches and Walton. Part of it can still be accessed.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

WARRINGTON & NEWTON RAILWAY 175TH ANNIVERSARY (2006)

Tuesday 25th July 2006 was the 175th anniversary of the opening of the Warrington & Newton Railway. It ran from near the Three Pigeons Hotel, along Dallam Lane to Newton Junction, better known as Earlestown. The line was taken over by the Grand Junction Railway on 31st December 1834.

newton_railway_175.jpg (100799 bytes)

It moved to Bank Quay when that opened. It is believed that a small window at the side of the pub was the ticket office, but it has never been authenticated. The engine shed was in what later became the Co-op coal yard. Only a bit of the far wall now survives. The photograph was taken by a late friend of mine, Jim Mercer, in 1969.

WARRINGTON CENTRAL STATION

central_station_1982ps.jpg (66157 bytes) Warrington Central Station was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1873. The ticket office for Manchester was incorporated in the brick structure on that side. On the Liverpool side, seen here, they constructed a "temporary" wooden ticket office which lasted until the new entrance and booking hall was opened in 1983 (110 years). It was accessed by a flight of stairs from Winwick Street, with a tunnel linking to the Manchester stairs. Many's the time I have joined the queue to file past the ticket office, handing in my half ticket on the way out. The photo was taken on 6-6-82.

CATTLE PENS OFF FROGHALL LANE

cattle_pens_1982ps.jpg (58902 bytes)

This photo is of the cattle pens just off Froghall Lane bridge. From soon after the railway came to Warrington, until the appearance of the motor lorry, cattle had arrived and departed by train from here, and herded to the town market. The ramp can still be seen behind the wire fence on the bridge and the pens are still there, although they cannot be seen because of the trees and bushes that have grown since this photo was taken on 13-6-82. It would be nice to see this bit of Warrington's history being restored. The road services vehicles of British Rail can be seen in the background (now the location of Aldi and Iceland stores).

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

WATERSIDE

spilsbury_marypcooper.jpg (105178 bytes)

The sand barge Mary P. Cooper collided with the coastal ship Foamsville on 21st March 1961. It took nearly six weeks to raise the sunken wreck and provided entertainment for sightseers.

spilsbury_howley_wharf.jpg (37537 bytes)

This is Howley wharf in the early 1970's. Part of it became the Mississippi Showboat club, which was burnt down on 2 March 2004. Bishops Wharf and Isherwood had a road haulage yard to the left of the warehouse. It must have been an interesting sight years ago when barges regularly came up this part of the river.

spilsbury_thames_board_mills.jpg (66214 bytes)

Thames Board Mills. This view of the barges at Thames Board Mills was taken in 1974. This operation must have finished soon after. The concrete wharf can still be seen when walking along Chester Road.

spilsbury_panary_faircloughs_mill.jpg (44726 bytes)

This is the motor barge PANARY by Fairclough's Mill at Atherton Quay on 5th September 1977. Barges delivered grain here until Fairclough's closed in about 1987. The tall building now has an eye painted on it on the other side [see my photo of The Big Pink Eye on the My Warrington page]. PANARY can still be seen from time to time at Frodsham Bridge. As a matter of interest, Crosfields had a ship, called LUX, that worked up the river from Liverpool to their factory. Peter
remembers it passing Fiddlers Ferry in his early youth. It is now called SAFE HAND and still works around the Liverpool docks.

SAILING BY

eluthera_latchford_psilsbury.jpg (50661 bytes) The two oil tankers here are sailing down the Manchester Ship Canal. On the left is Eluthera leaving Latchford Locks, whilst further up the Ship Canal is Superiority at Runcorn Docks. Runcorn Dock has a history as a port stretching back to medieval times. During this period it was in competition with Chester to be the major port of Cheshire. In 1481, Chester was granted a monopoly on Cheshire trade with Ireland, stalling Runcorn's growth. superiority_runcorn_docks_pspilsbury.jpg (80738 bytes)

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

CLICK ON EMAIL OR FEMAIL TO CONTACT ME

PETER HAS AN EXCELLENT COLLECTION OF BUS PHOTOGRAPHS

THE 1970s

peter_buses_01.jpg (54690 bytes)

Metro Scania (VWD 451H - built 1969) at Sankey Green island in March 1971. This battery-operated bus was on trial and evidently not a success, as it did not enter regular service. The row of shops to the right of the bus included Worrall's Fishing and Shooting shop on Green Street. The houses to the left of the bus were on Mill Lane. The street sign can still be seen on the side of the Co-op Late Shop.

peter_buses_02.jpg (83490 bytes)

WCT (Warrington Corporation Transport) 29 (HED 856E) Daimler Fleetline (built 1967) in Buttermarket Street on 28-3-75. In this scene, New Town House is under construction. In 2006, Ready Money Greenwoods is now Britannia Building Society and the Odeon cinema is demolished and replaced by Yates’ Wine Lodge, which converted to a Wetherspoons pub, The Looking Glass in 2010.

peter_buses_03.jpg (75599 bytes)

WCT 105 (NED 356M) Daimler Fleetline (built 1973) on 20-6-78, working along Reynolds Street  on the 16 service from Westy to Great Sankey via Town Centre. This was the first bus with  all-over advertising livery, giving it the local title of “the Baldwin Bus”.

peter_buses_04.jpg (60980 bytes)

WBT 33 (SED 450H) 1969 Daimler Fleetline & Halton 38 Leyland (HTF 644B) in the Orford area on 22-6-78. WCT were awaiting the arrival of an order of new buses and had to borrow some from other fleets, hence the Halton bus here.

peter_buses_05.jpg (75672 bytes)

Dennis Dominator demonstrator at Pinners Brow island on 4-7-78. [SHE 722S]. The Old Ball pub (now demolished) can be seen to the right, with the old Co-op (now Ram Properties Tannery Court) to the left.

peter_buses_06.jpg (60019 bytes)

WCT 85 Leyland (3713 ED) is a tuition bus in Orford Lane on 4-7-78. British Telecom’s advertisement starring “Busby” is in the background.

peter_buses_07.jpg (79749 bytes)

Lancashire United 173 Daimler Fleetline (ETD 943B) rests in Bewsey Street prior to moving to the starting point of the service to Ashton (in-Makerfield) at the Bay Horse inn in Winwick Street on 5-9-78. Nowadays, this spot is occupied by Warrington Interchange. The building behind was once a handyman's store.

peter_buses_08.jpg (66971 bytes)

A lone Lancashire United among Crosvilles at Arpley Bus Station on 17-9-78. Crosville ran services to Liverpool and Chester, as well as some local school runs. The Lancashire United was on the Manchester 10 service. My friend tells me how she waited here as a child for a bus to take her on holiday to North Wales.

peter_buses_09.jpg (71413 bytes)

Crosville SRL255 (SJA 380S) at Arpley Bus Station on 17-9-78.

peter_buses_10.jpg (66463 bytes)

WCT 75 (REK 75R) Leyland Atlantean celebrates 75 years of Warrington Transport as it leaves Buttermarket Street for Penketh on 22-10-78. WCT 74 (REK 74R), also a Leyland Atlantean, is at the Woolston stop.

peter_buses_11.jpg (75732 bytes)

WCT 35 (SED 452H) Daimler Fleetline & 62 (YED 270K) Bristol RESL6L in Buttermarket Street on 22-11-78. Syd Ellison's bicycle shop occupied the white building to the right of the Lower Angel pub for many years.

peter_buses_13.jpg (67291 bytes)

WCT 75 (REK 75R) Leyland Atlantean & 101 (NED 351M) Daimler Fleetline in Buttermarket Street on 27-11-78.

peter_buses_12.jpg (56197 bytes)

Lancaster City Council 205 (KTJ 205C) Leyland, left, & WCT 101 (NED 352M) Leyland Atlantean in Town Hill on the Westy service on 27-11-78. The Lancaster bus was on loan to WCT to help out with fleet shortage, and Town Hill was the temporary bus stop while demolition was taking place in the town centre for the Golden Square development.

peter_buses_14.jpg (80636 bytes)

peter_buses_15.jpg (72028 bytes)

WCT 66 (JEK 66N) in Buttermarket Street on 27-11-78. It is a Bristol  RESL6L built by East Lancs.

peter_buses_61.jpg (146684 bytes)

Warrington Corporation 112 is a Foden PVD/6 (OED 217) with an East Lancs body and built in 1956. It was the last Foden double-decker bus to be built and was later sold to an enthusiast for preservation in 1972 and kept at Steamport museum in Southport. This photograph was taken at Bickershaw colliery near Wigan in 1972.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

THE 1980s

peter_buses_16.jpg (82925 bytes) Crosville (FTU 390T) in the bus station on 19-9-80. peter_buses_17.jpg (78647 bytes) Crosville G554 (VFM 554C) at the bus station on 7-10-80.
peter_buses_18.jpg (88815 bytes) Crosville (FTU 386T) on the H5 service to Liverpool in Golborne Street on 17-6-81. peter_buses_19.jpg (82362 bytes) GMT 534 (PDT 671S) Leyland National leaving the bus station on the Manchester 10 service in Golborne Street on 17-6-81. Notice the Golden Square construction in the background.
peter_buses_20.jpg (67480 bytes) WCT 77 (REK 77R) Leyland Atlantean is preparing to turn
into Poplars Avenue with a good number of passengers on 16-8-81.
peter_buses_21.jpg (74821 bytes) First Manchester 5053 (MRJ 33W) MCW on the Manchester 10 service
in Golborne Street
on 11-11-98.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

THE 1990s PART 1 - BATTLE OF THE BUSES

The Transport Act of 1985 brought about deregulation of British bus services in October 1986. It meant that the competition was now open for any bus operator to run services wherever they wished. It also turned council-owned services into limited companies. For more information on the Bus Wars, see On The Buses.
peter_buses_23.jpg (85200 bytes) Warrington Goldline 129 (M129 YCM) Mercedes at the Golborne Street bus stop on 4-6-96. peter_buses_24.jpg (89133 bytes) WBT 206 (D106 TTJ) Dodge S56 sporting a bright Mini Lines livery in Golborne Street on 4-6-96.
peter_buses_25.jpg (95754 bytes) North Western 1173 (M173 YKA) Dennis in Bridge Street with the Premier livery on the Altrincham service on 15-7-96. peter_buses_26.jpg (56222 bytes) Warrington Goldline 1212 (M212 YKD) Plaxton Pointer negotiating Mersey Street island on 15-7-96. In trying to keep its identity secret, North Western used this vehicle in a white livery.
peter_buses_28.jpg (78743 bytes) WBT 1 (F101 XEM) Dennis Dominator at Chester bus station on 16-7-96. peter_buses_30.jpg (69940 bytes) Warrington Goldline 1197 (M197 YKA) at the rear of the market in Academy Way on 20-4-97.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

THE 1990s PART 2

peter_buses_22.jpg (98438 bytes) WBT 2 (T202 AFM) Dennis Dart passing under the Bridgwater Canal at Lumbrook Bridge on 23-5-90. peter_buses_44.jpg (93235 bytes) WBT 70 (LED 70P) Bristol RESL6G in Golborne Street bus station on 23-5-99.
peter_buses_45.jpg (98011 bytes) WBT 71 (LED 71P) Bristol RESL6G emerging from under the Bridgewater Canal at Lumbrook Bridge on 23-5-99. peter_buses_27.jpg (96842 bytes) WBT 83 (TTB 83S) Leyland Atlantean in Bridge Street on 15-7-96.
peter_buses_29.jpg (59393 bytes) Fairbrothers (VNH 159W) on a school service in Knutsford Road on 15-4-97. peter_buses_37.jpg (82216 bytes) Arriva 64 (M64 WKA) Mercedes on the dedicated 106 service at the Golborne Street bus stop on 11-11-98.
peter_buses_32.jpg (79112 bytes) WBT 149 (AED 31B) in the bus depot slip road off Wilderspool Causeway in Coachline livery on 3-2-98. This was one of a dozen Leyland 'Titan PD2/40 Specials'. It was built in 1964 to a narrow width to negotiate Sankey Street near Woolworth's. The street was eventually made one-way and later became pedestrianised.
peter_buses_31.jpg (81222 bytes) WBT 116 (S116 GUB) Optare Metrorider at the Golborne Street bus stop on 11-1-98. peter_buses_33.jpg (80141 bytes) WBT 241 (M241 YCM) Dennis Dart at the Golborne Street bus stop on 1-5-98.
peter_buses_34.jpg (74347 bytes) WBT 38 (A208 DTO) Leyland ONLXB/1R moving into Hunts Lane from Knutsford Road on 13-5-98. peter_buses_35.jpg (90429 bytes) North Western 1160  (M160 WKA) wearing Runcorn City Plus lettering at Daresbury en route to Chester on 20-5-98.
peter_buses_36.jpg (91650 bytes) Warrington Goldline 1175 (M175 YKA) crossing over Black Bear Bridge in Knutsford Road on its way to Altrincham on 26-6-98. Although North Western was using its own brand it carried on using the Goldline until the buses went in for an overhaul. I have used whatever brand the bus was carrying at the time it was photographed.
peter_buses_38.jpg (82831 bytes) WBT 100 (C100 UBC) Dennis Dominator rests between duties outside the bus station on  23.2.99. peter_buses_39.jpg (84126 bytes) WBT 20 (MEK 20W) Leyland Atlantean between duties near the bus station on 23-2-99. The One-2-One phone company advertised on the bus eventually became T-Mobile.
peter_buses_40.jpg (74257 bytes) WBT 102 (C102 UBC) Dennis Dominator at the Golborne Street bus stop on 6-4-99. peter_buses_42.jpg (81389 bytes) Anthony’s Travel (G991 ORR) at Warrington bus station on 9-4-99.  Anthony’s is a Runcorn-based company that has limited services in Warrington, especially on a Sunday.
peter_buses_43.jpg (63098 bytes) WBT 248 (M248 YWM) Dennis Dart in Tarporley Road where it crosses over the M56 on 9-4-99. The destination board says Service 43. From 31 July 2006 this route is withdrawn, along with Services 43, 43A, 44, 44A and 45B, but Service 46 to Northwich will still serve Barnton. peter_buses_41.jpg (81896 bytes) WBT 2 (T202 AFM) Dennis
Dart at the Golborne Street
bus stop on 6-4-99. This type
has low-floor access.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

TURN OF THE CENTURY

peter_buses_46.jpg (100044 bytes) WBT Foden recovery vehicle (Q866 RCA) at the bus depot on 23-5-99. peter_buses_47.jpg (100214 bytes) WBT 96 (F96 STB) Dennis Dominator in Ackers Road, Stockton Heath, on 7-4-00.
peter_buses_48.jpg (88733 bytes) WBT 16 (V216 JLG) Dennis Dart in the City for Peace livery at the Golborne Street bus stop on 17-7-00. peter_buses_49.jpg (76896 bytes) WBT 229 (L229 SWM) Dennis Dart with the Drug Dealer livery at the Golborne Street bus stop on 17-7-00.
peter_buses_50.jpg (107225 bytes) WBT 27 (Y627 GFM) Dennis Dart with the Disability Awareness livery in the bus station on 25-4-01. peter_buses_60.jpg (76092 bytes) WBT 119 (S119 GUB) Optare Metrorider at the Golborne Street bus stop on the Centrelink service in July 03.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

WARRINGTON BOROUGH TRANSPORT CENTENARY OPEN DAY - 3 JUNE 2002

peter_buses_54.jpg (67059 bytes)

WBT 148 (BED 729C) at the bus depot on 3-6-02. It is one of the Leyland Titan PD/40 Specials, and dates from 1965. It is now preserved as the company's heritage vehicle. On the day of the Centenary celebrations it was used to ferry people to and from the bus station.

peter_buses_53.jpg (76473 bytes)

WBT 1 (T201 AFM) Dennis Dart in the Transport Centenary livery.

peter_buses_55.jpg (99318 bytes)

WBT 16 (V216 JLG) Dennis Dart in the Queen’s Golden
Jubilee livery.

peter_buses_51.jpg (76045 bytes)

Westy Sure Start (B54 AOC) Dennis waits outside St Margaret’s Hall in Lindley Avenue on 10-4-02. It was also on display at the Centenary Event. This community bus is serviced by Warrington Borough Transport at their depot but does not belong to them.

peter_buses_56.jpg (61523 bytes)

WBT 238, 233 (Dennis Darts), 117, 118 (Optare Metroriders), 247, 222, 216 & 210 (Dennis Darts). The last two are also Dennis Darts. The Wilderspool rugby stand can be seen in the background.

peter_buses_52.jpg (76949 bytes)

Transport & General Workers Union (NIL 9313) at the Centenary celebrations.

peter_buses_57.jpg (87491 bytes)

WBT 26 (Y626 GFM) Dennis Dart in the Warrington Wolves livery. The Wolves Super League rugby club  used to play at Wilderspool just around the corner, but moved to the Halliwell Jones stadium on the site of the old Tetley Walker Brewery on Winwick Road/Dallam Lane.

peter_buses_59.jpg (85231 bytes)

WBT 47 (A747 GFY) & 48 (A748 GFY), both Dennis Dominators, at the bus depot. The depot itself was built between 1960 and 1964.

peter_buses_58.jpg (64746 bytes)

WBT 38 (A206 DTO) Leyland, 101 ( C100 UBC) Dennis Dominator, 87 (A487 HKB) Leyland Olympian, 102 (C102 UBC) Dennis Dominator & 96 (F96 STB) Dennis Dominator.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

RNLI

Peter has supplied the following nine images to highlight the work of the RNLI charity over the years.
See the My Warrington page for another RNLI lifeboat photographed by Peter. Link to the RNLI website.

rnli_01_pspilsbury_07.jpg (55113 bytes) rnli_02_pspilsbury_08.jpg (38884 bytes) rnli_03_pspilsbury_09.jpg (66040 bytes) rnli_04_pspilsbury_10.jpg (47725 bytes)
Lifeboat Week on the Isle of Man has the Douglas lifeboat ready to go (far left) and actually being launched in 1962. Even the rain did not put visitors off seeing the action. In 1971 it was the turn of the Port Erin (left)
and Ramsey lifeboats to face my camera.
rnli_05_pspilsbury_11.jpg (48745 bytes)

RNLB William & Laura lifeboat from Newcastle, Northern Ireland, visited the Liverpool Maritime Museum during the city's Parade of Sail week in 1986. The photograph was taken on 30th June.

rnli_06_pspilsbury_12.jpg (54102 bytes)

On 5 June 1988 it was the turn of the New Brighton lifeboat to be on duty during the Parade of Sail.

rnli_07_pspilsbury_13.jpg (35240 bytes)

Hoylake's lifeboat took its turn at the Parade on 18 June 1989, with the Royal Iris in the background.

rnli_08_pspilsbury_14.jpg (41995 bytes)

Fleetwood lifeboat 47-038
sailed up the River Wyre
on 22 July 1990.

rnli_09_pspilsbury_15.jpg (66351 bytes)

The ex-volunteer lifeboat Elizabeth Simpson, which being a volunteer boat did not belong to the RNLI, ties up at Great Yarmouth quay after taking passengers up Braydon Water to visit the mill there. She was launched on the River Yare after being built by Beeching Brothers in 1889. She operated as a "wet" boat, being flooded to the gunnels and then rowed out to rescue. She retired in 1939 and became a passenger ship operation on the river until retiring in 1973. She is now laid up for restoration at Fakenham, Norfolk.

If you wish to be kept informed about lifeboat launches by the RNLI anywhere in the country, click rnli.org.uk/pager to download the desktop pager software which updates a short while after a launch is made. You can track the last 12 launches of either your favourite or local station, or indeed from every station. It's great software, and certainly makes one appreciate the work of this fine organisation who selflessly perform rescues day and night. The software works with Mac or Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Bank Quay Buses 1990s Part 1 - Battle of the buses Cattle Pens off Froghall Lane Sailing By
Burtonwood Air Base Buses 1990s Part 2 Fire Station Open Day Stockton Heath
Buses 1970s Buses Turn of the Century The Jet Steam Town Centre from the Top
Buses 1980s Buses Centenary Event RNLI Warrington & Newton Railway

Warrington Central

Waterside

Warrington - A Town of Many Industries

mywarrington - created by Gordon I Gandy
Gordon_Radio_Warrington.jpg (52097 bytes) market_transport_show_120707_093.JPG (139965 bytes)
Local Radio - Local Issues - Local Presenters - Proud to be at the Heart of your Community.
Click the station banner, above, select 'Listen Live' and choose your media player.
Or install the TuneIn app on your smartphone or tablet and search for Radio Warrington
The mywarrington Radio Show every Friday lunchtime between 12 and 3 on Radio Warrington.

Home History Timeline Memory Lane Tour 1 Tour 2 Radio Warrington At The Flicks Mr Smith's Shop! Nineteen Nineties 19 Museum Street Legh Street Baths My Warrington RAF Burtonwood On The Waterfront 1 On The Waterfront 2 Warrington Green 1 Warrington Green 2 Sankey Valley On The Buses Peter's Gallery Walk Through Time Making Tracks 1 Making Tracks 2 Making Tracks 3 Warrington People Entertaining People Sporting People Warrington Wolves Warrington Market Classic Motor Shows Events On Top of the World The Bewsian Hamilton Street Golden Square Community Feedback